Sunday, July 27, 2008

Five Cows

I find it typical whenever I eat out to dine at a restaurant that serves good hot meals, then afterwards head off to another spot for dessert. Dinner here, then a cupcake there... a big hefty lunch over at this resto, then grab some ice cream over at an ice cream parlor. If these two places are not too far apart, then lucky me.

I've recently found a perfect way to combine my love for meals and desserts, and it comes in Five Cows.


Resto + Ice Cream Bar

Serving you more than just ice cream treats, Five Cows goes beyond what your typical ice cream parlors have - the restaurant's hot menu items is just as much as the ones in their cold menu. That is what first caught my attention as a cheerful waiter handed me the menu. Wide eyed and eager to try their food, I browsed through and see that Five Cows offers a wide range of appetizers, soups, salads, pastas, pizzas, and savory main courses. Not just your usual spaghetti-and-chicken, or a couple of rice dishes. This place is a full-blown resto, with a wonderful dessert line to boot! Heaven, I tell you, for a foodie like me.


Run by the team behind the well-loved Nestle Creamery, Five Cows dishes out old favorites in their ice cream line and delightfully surprises you with inventive and mouth-watering desserts. Located on the fifth level of TriNoma, the place is not hard to spot - it's a short walk from the cinemas, and nearby Timezone. Five Cows itself is very appealing to look at as the place is brightly-lit and their wooden seats are peppered with cushions in blue, pink, green and purple.

Let's Eat!

Michelle, one of the co-owners of Five Cows, happened to pass by the restaurant before we ordered our lunch for the day. She happily helped us out and suggested some items on the menu for us to try. Hungry and very eager to fill my tummy with lunch, my friend Marian and I order and wait for the waiter to serve us our meals.


Baked Spinach and Cheese Spread

We were first served our appetizer: the Baked Spinach and Cheese Spread (P180). Made with spinach and cheese sauce, the spread was rich and had the right saltiness. It goes well with the crunchy bruschetta that is served along with it.

Soup of the Day - Cream of Tomato

The Soup of the Day - Cream of Tomato (P85), is a good way to rev up my appetite for the main course. Since I'm a sucker for tomato-based food, the soup was excellent for me.

In between munching on our bread and dip and sipping our heartwarming soup, Marian and I chitchatted with the bubbly Michelle. Having been in the ice cream biz for quite some time now, she tells us how she can distinguish the brands just by tasting them! I found that awesome (I wish I had that skill) and soon I will attempt to do a little taste-testing experiment of my own...

Anyway, on to more food!


Lamborghini

Our Lamborghini (P275) sandwich was served. Shredded lambchops, lettuce, onions, tomatoes and mozzarella cheese were all held together by slices of honey-wheat bread. One bite of it and I knew my brother, a big fan of lamb, would definitely order this sandwich when we eat out at Five Cows.


Monster Rib Eye Steak

Our main course for lunch was the Monster Rib Eye Steak (P880). It really was a monster in its size, even if Marian and I were sharing the dish! The oversized US Rib Eye (about 250 grams) is served medium-well and hot, with buttered vegetables, grilled corn, and gravy. The juicy and tender slab of beef will surely satisfy meat-lovers out there.

After finishing such a hefty lunch, we rest for a bit to prepare ourselves for our real main course: dessert!


The Ultimate Milkshake

We first had the Ultimate Milkshake (P165). It comes in 3 flavors: vanilla, chocolate and strawberry. Marian ordered Vanilla while I got the strawberry. As they use Nestle products, expect the same sweet and rich quality in their shakes, a smooth and generous serving of ice cream blended with malt.


Tarta de Manila

We were interested in trying out Tarta de Manila, as we read in the menu that it's Five Cows' ice cream version of the Pinoy turon. We ordered a slice (P170, P1,900 for a whole cake). The ice cream cake is made with crunchy caramel and, interestingly, has layers of lumpia wrapper. Chunks of caramelized banana-nangka and the caramel sauce sweetened the rich vanilla ice cream.

The next dessert we tried, I shall give a perfect 10 for presentation: The Flaming Alaska!

They took us by surprise, really. The waiters suddenly turned off the lights at Five Cows, then someone rung a cowbell as the dessert arrived on our area. And then it was set aflame.


Flaming Alaska

The Flaming Alaska (P210) looks 'cute', if a dessert can be called that. It's very white and styled to look spiky. It's a spiked sponge cake dome that is filled with assorted ice cream (vanilla, strawberry and chocolate), smothered with meringue and served with flaming rum.

While a Perfect 10 is given to this one for its presentation, I have saved the best one we tried for the last! Thank you, Five Cows, for creating a masterpiece in your Ferrero Crunch Supreme (P180).


errero Crunch Supreme

This dessert is one of their marble slab concoctions, and since it is the most talked about item in their dessert menu, I got out of my seat and even observed how they created it. Try this one out, and discover bursts of different textures of sweetness dance around your mouth. The classic vanilla ice cream is mixed with crunchy bits and Five Cows' very own concoction of choco-hazelnut filling. A definite must-try for those who enjoy a truly amazing chocolatey experience!

And that ends our lunch for that day. But really, it is just a beginning: there's a whole lot more that Five Cows has to offer, what we had was just a teaser of what you can try out there. Now, I know (and you know!) where to go whenever I want to tame my ravenous appetite and please
my sweet tooth.




I'm looking for Five Cows.

Five Cows
TriNoma Mall
EDSA cor. North Ave.
Quezon City
Metro Manila
Tel: 910-3748, 910-3948


No comments: